- Kindergarten, 1st & 4th grades
In-class presentation for K-1st graders:
- Students learn why ground-nesting yellowjackets are so dangerous (they can sting, they like to eat "people food", and they build large, hidden nests, etc.).
- Students learn how yellowjackets are different than honeybees.
- Students learn how to stay safe from yellowjackets.
- Students are read a story that illustrates the life cycle and seasonal history of yellowjackets.
In-class presentation for 4th graders:
- Students learn that yellowjackets are social wasps (not bees).
- Students learn that there are several different species (kinds) of social wasps that live in Marin & Sonoma counties, and that some are typically more dangerous than others.
- Students learn how to identify the various nests that different social wasps make.
- Students learn how to stay safe from yellowjackets and other stinging insects.